Carriageworks Theatre is located on the first floor level of the Electric Press Development on Millennium Square, Leeds. Overlooking an historic glass-roofed and heated courtyard which in early Victorian times was the home of the ‘West Riding Carriage Manufactory’.
Stansfield Chambers (Grade II listed) which was built in 1848 and housed the West Riding Carriage Manufactory, from which theatre takes its name; and Portland Chambers which was built towards the end of the last century.
These buildings were occupied by a variety of tenants over the years up until 1999 when all remaining tenants were relocated to enable Leeds City Council to market the buildings as a development opportunity.
The Electric Press Development incorporates The Electric Press building (Grade II listed) which was built in 1894 and was used by Chorley and Pickersgill as a printing works.